Wednesday 9 March 2011

Guest Speakers

The last couple of weeks has introduced me to new avenues of design.

Ptolomey Mann just blew me away with her work and commitment. Some of her designs were stunning and so innovative. I was impressed by the way she has embraced the other strings to her bow as a textile designer. Her design work on the internal and external parts of buildings is just one example. You can see the craft of the weaver being incorporated within these  projects.

Solanzo (sorry if the spelling is incorrect) had a very interesting topic which took me a wee while before I understood what he was talking about, but once I did then the more interesting and thought provoking I found the topic to be. Speaking to some of my fellow students afterwards they just couldn't grasp what Solanzo was talking about.

The Interior Design girl (I'm sorry I never noted her name)  who spoke after Solanzo was also very interesting. Her work experience in the Designers office to getting a full time job from it, plus her designs and planning sketches at how she arrived at the final design.
She passed on so much useful information about being in a working environment and thrown in at the deep end and how her confidence grew. It's not just a 9 - 5 job its an all hours thing. Trying to meet deadlines, budget constraints and client's changing their minds.

Such a diversity of topics and useful hints & tips as well as some stunning designs and ideas.

Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. The interior designer was called Linsey McIntosh :) I loved all these lectures! They were so fascinating. I never wrote down Solanzo(if thats right) name... wish I did because that lecture was my favourite.

    ReplyDelete